Bill Viola was born on January 25, 1951 and grew up in Queens and Westbury, New York. He is a contemporary video artist, and he is considered to be the leading figure in artists whose work depends on electronic, sound and image technology. His work is primarily themed around human experiences like birth, death, and aspects of┬áconsciousness. He graduated from Syracuse University with a Bachelor’s in Fine Arts and has studied at the College of Visual and Performing Arts. He has been invited to show work and teach and numerous prestigious institutions.

I really appreciated the deeper meaning behind all of Viola’s work. That of “An Ocean Without a Shore” was very interesting and I really liked how he had the intention of challenging the viewer. I particularly liked “The Quintet Series.” This piece forced the viewer to watch the video multiple times so thoroughly understand the movements of each actor. I feel like he really shows how much human’s miss out on in life, even when it’s in slow motion like that. I think it really showed how each person’s perception of life is so different in the expressions of the actors and the amount of times I had to watch the video. Combined with the funny expressions on the people’s faces it made the piece as a whole enjoyable and insightful.