Robin Rhode was born in 1976 in Capetown, South Africa. In 1998 he got a degree in Fine Art from Technikon Witwatersrand and then went into a postgraduate program at the South African School of Film, Television and Dramatic Art, both in Johannesburg. He works primarily with material such as charcoal, chalk and paint. He sometimes creates performances using his art. Some of his work also brings performance, painting, drawing, video, and digital animations together. He particularly likes to work in public spaces.

One of the most interesting parts of Rhodes’ work for me was his use of sequence. I feel like he is able to convey his message that much more clearly with every single picture he adds.  I feel like we are able to see clearly what he wants to get across and the many steps it takes. Like in his piece “Bathing Kings” we see the hands washing the card and it is odd because you don’t really understand why anyone would do that. But because of the many pictures in the sequence you start to feel like it is a perfectly acceptable thing to do because of the different ways you can see it. Also he photographed it in light that focused only on the hands and the washing, so there are no distractions and you focus only on those.